Finishing Spree! Fireworks, Curvy Quilting & “Disappearing” Binding

A quick note: my new fall online teaching schedule is up! In addition to repeating a couple of my most-requested classes, I’ve got some brand-new classes to share with you all.

I haven’t been posting much this summer, but I’ve certainly been sewing up a storm! I’m finding it good therapy. 🙂

Due to the pandemic, we weren’t able to enjoy our usual fireworks display downtown this year, but I was inspired by the July Java batiks box from Cotton Cuts to create some fireworks of my own (metaphorically speaking, of course). 😉

Goodies from the July Java Batiks box from Cotton Cuts.

I started by cutting out shapes with my Tri-Recs rulers, and created little four-patches for the corner of each block. (This was a design-as-I-go project – I didn’t have a pattern.)

I used the Tri-Recs rulers to cut out the star block, AKA my fireworks burst.

I turned my blocks on point, and added more four-patches to the setting triangles.

Building my design – I decided to extend the expanding “fireworks” by added four-patches to the areas where the setting triangles would be.

Completed “fireworks” quilt top designed and made by Beth Ann Williams.

For the quilting that holds the quilt top, batting and backing together, I thought it would be fun to try something a little different.

I marked corner-to-corner and midpoint-to-midpoint with white chalk. The corner-to-corner lines would be the first lines I stitched, while the midpoint-to-midpoint lines would serve as my guides for when I needed to change direction as I echoed the initial quilting lines. This would create a set of nesting angles in each quadrant of the quilt. (The only time any of the quilting lines would cross each other was right in the center of the quilt.)

My quilt top marked corner to corner and midpoint to midpoint with white chalk.

I set my sewing machine up for an elongated serpentine stitch. I stitched corner-to-corner first with my walking foot, and then created a network of nesting angles in each quadrant of the quilt. Variegated thread added a bit of extra “pop”.

Quilting in progress; I’ve just changed directions and am stitching back towards the corner of the quilt.

The only place the quilting lines crossed was right in the center.

When it came time to bind the quilt, I didn’t want to create a hard edge cutting off the design. So instead, I tried a flange binding a little bit wider than I normally use. (This time, I cut the accent or flange fabric 1 3/4″ wide and the main binding fabric 1 1/2″ wide.)

I like the way the matching fabric causes the outer binding to “disappear” into the quilt while the flange still provides a subtle “pop” accenting the design.

And so does Ronan!

Ronan approves!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *